“The Aidsy Bloke With the Beard”

So anyway, i check the stats to see what and how and why people are washing up on the esoteric and niche shores of traumfahrrad dot com. And low and behold, i was getting a bit of ‘traffic’ from some sort of ‘banter’ forum. You can read the thread here, or I’ve pasted it below. It’s comedy gold.

Post by Gnostic Ascent @ Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:31 am

This was last week up Ramsbottom Rake in Lancashire. People do some strange shit to their bikes to save a few 100grams.

by nakedninja @ Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:43 am

Why did I just watch all of that? And why did Paul Jones have a massive beard, surely extra weight and drag there. Interesting that people are doing this without helmets, I thought most competitions required helmets.

Careless Whisperer @ Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:53 am

The mudguards were just on a warm-up bike, that wouldn’t have been his race bike. I was juvenile and junior club hillclimb champion three or four years in a row BITD and can still remember the pain vividly. My first attempt was only a few months after I joined the club and was still riding an old gas pipe frame with downtube friction shifters! Over the years, experience taught me better approaches and I ended up basically riding my time trial bike with a single chainring and ratios specifically for the hillclimb. I couldn’t go too radical because we always used to ride out to the hill en-mass as a warm up – turning up in a car was considered being a wuss. Great fun, but lung-bursting, calf-popping, back-breaking stuff.

TKF @ Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:47 pm

Jose Pinon-Shaw has gone to the extent of making his face more aero.

by TKF @ Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:53 pm

Also, how aidsy do most of them look?

by Gnostic Ascent @ Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:45 pm

TKF wrote:Also, how aidsy do most of them look?

It’s all about power to weight ratio going uphill. The aidsy bloke with the beard has a blog. Read this article about dropping weight off the bike and then about dropping weight off himself. Extreme.

Ghost @ Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:41 pm

Gnostic Ascent wrote:

TKF wrote:Also, how aidsy do most of them look?

“The specialist nature of the task and the event appeals to that latent autism that all men possess.”

3 thoughts on ““The Aidsy Bloke With the Beard”

1. jono rollapaluza bag boy November 1, 2012 / 8:43 pm

You will be featured in the Guardian at the weekend if you keep this up!! I have been telling to shave that beard off for ages

2. Mike Bennett November 1, 2012 / 9:04 pm

Hope you didn’t take offence at our comments? No malice was intended. As our humour can be very dry it’s easy to mistake it for abuse.

• traumfahrrad November 1, 2012 / 9:34 pm

None taken. Made me laugh. There’s some fairly dry comments buried in here amidst the niche techno manorexia.

It’s actually a compliment to a hill climber if you tell them they look emaciated/ill/aids-struck. It suggests they’re on form.

Since Sunday I’ve put on about 70kg.