Nothing Cold Can Stay

I went out on a training ride today. It was my longest ride for a very long time, which isn’t saying all that much – i only break the 20 mile barrier in races. I managed to eke out 45 miles with some uppity climbs and far too much ice. I assumed it wouldn’t be all that icy. i was mistaken.

Dundry Hill, north of the wall

I had to walk a couple of times on account of hazardous icy descents, especially near Butcombe. The average temperature for the entire ride was a balmy 3 degrees. I managed  4,200 feet of climbing, taking in the scenic cols of Dundry, Blagdon, Shipham, Wrington and Belmont, with a 16mph average. Things were looking great on the way out, but the headwind on the way home had me grovelling.

On the plus side there was a huge twitch going on at Chew Valley Lake. Men in khaki fatigues and expensive binoculars lined the walls of the dam. Today’s unusual visitor was an Osprey, circling the lake in a flash of black and white with outstretched talons. The raptor was returning from Africa to Scotland or Scandinavia.

I’ve just about had enough of winter’s icy grip. Steve Douchebag is heading to Ireland in 4 days time for a saddlebag tour – taking the necessary kit for a sub-zero Nordic biathlon probably defeats the purpose of a saddlebag tour. Mike and chums are somewhere out into the wilds of Hereford as a warm-up for their visit to Belgium and return bike ride. I’m sure like most normal cyclists they anticipated maybe being able to use the armwarmers or a nice gilet, as opposed to the full thermal battlegear they are doubtless currently using.

Even the weatherman on the terrorbox the other day referred to the current unseasonal blast as ‘unprecedented’.

10 thoughts on “Nothing Cold Can Stay

1. john mills March 26, 2013 / 3:33 pm

unprecedented ! … now there’s an understatement of the week 🙂

2. bikevcar March 26, 2013 / 5:06 pm

I kissed the tarmac at Butcombe this morning. You were wise to get off and walk. Mashed up knee and sore neck now. F**k this f**king weather

• traumfahrrad March 26, 2013 / 7:00 pm

it was bloody hairy. sorry to hear about your offski. hope that it’s just soreness and all will be well soon.

• bikevcar March 27, 2013 / 7:18 pm

Slightly less ‘hairy’ now!

3. bikevcar March 31, 2013 / 6:43 pm

Hey PJ, am I all set up with the BSCC to come along to this Wednesday’s TT? Do I need to pre-register or anything? Signed, the TT-virgin!

• traumfahrrad March 31, 2013 / 7:08 pm

is it that time already? Christ. You are a member, but you don’t need to be to ride. Make sure you arrive in good time to sign on and check the location. Bring lights if riding home. er. that’s it?

• bikevcar March 31, 2013 / 9:28 pm

Thanks

• traumfahrrad April 1, 2013 / 7:19 am

It’s at Aust by the way, doesn’t head down to the lake for a few weeks.

• bikevcar April 1, 2013 / 8:46 pm

Yeah I saw that on the website cheers. I’m hoping to head up in the car and give it a go.