The King

“I look at the sky, expecting a heavenly chorus. Instead, somewhere a dog barks.”

alf 1975Alfrecord

alfengerscatterick_1000

Alf Engers rang me up out of the blue the other day. He introduced himself over the phone by counting down from 5 to 0, like a timekeeper at the push. He’d read my book and we met very briefly at the Pedal Club when I gave a talk. Apparently he liked my sense of humour and attitude. He’s quite the raconteur and I’m optimistic that this is the start of a new project. Three phone calls in and I’m already overwhelmed by writeable stories.

He also asked me if I was still racing. Alf Engers. Asked me about my bike riding.

9 thoughts on “The King

1. John m April 30, 2016 / 8:33 pm

Oooooo….. Like the sound of this🙂

2. Herb April 30, 2016 / 8:59 pm

Where do I send my money for a book pre-order???? Fantastic news! I live in the USA yet Mr Engers is my cycling hero……

3. Human Cyclist May 1, 2016 / 8:53 am

That quote is beyond brilliant. Funny and very real. I can almost see the face, feel the emotion and read the entire story that precedes it. Quick, get that book published!

4. Human Cyclist May 1, 2016 / 8:58 am

Oh, no social media share buttons at the bottom of your posts? Deliberate? Maybe, but they will send you the most treasured prize a writer seeks (after a book deal!), readers.

5. Chris May 1, 2016 / 10:45 am

Get that book published P.J. If its half as good as, “A Corinthian Endeavour” it will be worth reading, but I suspect it will be up there with it.

• Chris May 1, 2016 / 12:04 pm

That’s a tough act to follow, as it was an excellent read.

6. Mel Ellis May 4, 2016 / 11:55 am

If a story is worth telling, it’s worth telling right!

• traumfahrrad May 8, 2016 / 8:45 am

is that a compliment or a warning (sotto voice)?